Diamonds are sparkly, beautiful, and priceless. In Vancouver alone, tons of jewellery shops can customize your diamond ring. But is it true that a diamond can lose its sparkle?
The truth is, diamonds don’t lose their shine. They don’t dull.
However, they can get dirty, and that can make them appear like they’ve lost their sparkle. With that said, is it possible to clean your diamond rings on your own? Or do you need a professional to do it for you?
Do Diamond Rings Get Dirty?
The diamond is the hardest known natural substance on earth. But it’s not immune to dirt. Specifically, it’s not resistant to the oils on your fingers.
When you handle diamonds, some of the natural oil on your fingers will transfer to it. If it’s oily, the dust and debris will easily stick to it. If you let it be, it will lose some of its brilliance and may even dull down a little.
Besides looking a lot less precious than it is, dirty diamond rings harbour bacteria. It could eventually cause allergies or skin irritation. Even the metals are affected by degradation and discolouration.
You wouldn’t want to surprise your partner with a dirty ring, would you? So what do you do?
How to Keep your Diamond Ring Clean and Sparkly
The best way to keep your diamond ring squeaky clean is to handle it sparingly.
When you buy a ring from a Vancouver diamond ring shop, keep it stored in its box. It’s okay to admire it now and then. But avoid handling the ring or the diamond itself when you can.
It is perhaps one piece of advice that any jeweller will say to you.
Another way of keeping it sparkly is to clean it. If you’re the one wearing it, and you do so regularly, clean it once a week. If you’re keeping it to give to your partner at the right moment, clean it when it gets dirty.
DIY Diamond Ring Cleaning
You can find a Diamond Vancouver cleaner or bring it to your jeweller for the perfect polish. But you can also keep it clean in your own home with a few simple steps:
- Create a gentle degreasing solution. Get some water and mix a few drops of mild dishwashing soap.
- Soak your diamond ring in the solution for a few minutes.
- Remove your diamond ring from the solution and use a toothbrush to clean it. Make sure you use a clean toothbrush which was never used before. Reserve it for cleaning purposes only.
- Gently brush your diamond ring. Pay extra attention to crevices where dirt can easily gather. The back of the diamond and the spaces in between two diamonds are likely places.
- Rinse your diamond ring with clean water.
- Dry with a soft and clean cloth.
Never use harsh chemicals such as chlorine and bleach. Abrasives can also cause damage to your diamond ring.
Keeping your diamond ring clean is not merely to enhance its appearance. Cleaning it can also help keep your skin safe, especially when you wear your jewellery daily. And of course, a clean diamond is more valuable than a dirty one.